By Christa L. Stanula, Southeast US, Account Executive for Changepoint
Since working at Changepoint I’ve been able to attend two PSVillage Professional Services Executive Breakfasts, most recently in Atlanta, GA. Since there are typically no more than 20 people at these invitation-only events the intimate size makes it a natural networking environment where you can share best practices and professional experiences with peers in your local area.
These events also include a presentation on topics related to growing and managing a technology services business. As someone who manages a group of people, hearing these types of presentations is incredibly beneficial. I especially enjoyed listening to Bill Nussey, the CEO of Silverpop, present tips to build a great team by learning how to recognize, recruit, reward, and retain Very Talented People (VTP).
Here are my top five takeaways from Bill’s presentation:
- In a professional services company people are the product, which makes Very Talented People the most important business asset.
- You can recognize a VTP through a set of characteristics including intelligence, energy, self-sufficiency, and most importantly the awareness to self-correct and maintain a positive attitude.
- If you’re trying to build a team made of VTPs one of the best ways to recruit is through another VTP.
- Monetary incentives are not the most effective way to recruit and retain VTPs as they are typically most motivated by personal and career growth.
- In this industry we are better together than we are alone which means fostering team alignment and cohesiveness is key to accomplishing goals.
If you’re interested in attending a PSVillage Professional Services Executive Breakfast you can check out the list of locations for upcoming events here: https://www.psvillage.com/executive-breakfasts-and-meet-ups.
Christa Stanula is the Sales Director of Southeast USA for Changepoint. She is an industry expert in Professional Services Automation and Project Portfolio Management, and has been selling B2B software solutions for more than 20 years.